We have a new update in the Amazon Top Selling Digital Cameras soap-opera. No spoilers yet, jump right ahead. Spoilers follow right after this sentence. Stop reading now :)
Here is a screenshot teaser with some of the exciting movers and shakers! The picture is a link to the new Top 100!
Camera Talk Radio 1001AM The Noisy Buzz
- The announcement of the new D-Rebel XS 1000D did not frighten the XSi 450D, and with a price of around $850, it's back in the Top 10. With this jump, the XSi 450D steals the [Top DSLR] belt from the Canon 40D, but only by one spot, which continues to make the Canon 40D reign even more impressive.
- The Panasonic TZ5 now has two models in the Top 10, the Blue (TZ5A) at #6 and the Black (TZ5K) at #10. Quick Panasonic, come up with new Gold, Pink, Chocolate Brown, Red, Green, and Yellow versions! You are missing out on those potential sales :)
- On top of that, the two TZ5 have a 2-0 lead over the Canon superzoom duo of the S5-IS which is having supply issues, and the SX-100-IS.
- We have a new #1 as the Canon Powershots continue to play musical chairs
- With the Canon G9 having a small price increase partially due to supply issues, the A650-IS is now moving on up, and into the Top 15!
- As we said many times before, price drops heal all wounds, and a few dollars off made the Nikon D60 (w/18-55 DX VR) kit jump back into the Top 25. Who's afraid of Virginia "XS" Woolf? :)
- Meanwhile the two D300 kits are not doing bad considering their prices, but the 40Ds higher ranking is stealing their thunder. The D300 body only is at #31, while the kit with the 18-200 DX VR lens is at #42. Not bad for two cameras that cost $1700 and $2270 respectively!
- Good news for Olympus fans, they are back in the Top 25 with a new entry at #23, the tough-cookie Stylus 1030SW black. Now imagine how well these would sell if people didn't have to worry about xD memory cards and panorama gimmicks :) Can you hear me now Olympus or is your mountain too high up in the sky? :)
- Good news for Sony, the W120/B is back in the top 25, while the H50, fresh off a $50 list price discount is knocking on the Top 25 door at #26, and also has the unofficial [Top Hyperzoom] belt for a second time in a row, followed by the Nikon P80, the silver Panasonic FZ18 ($300 Vanns) and the Olympus SP570uz, all in the Top 50, but a far outcry from the glory days of superzooms.
- The top non-Canon/Nikon DSLR continues to be the Olympus E510 two-lens kit, this time jumping into the Top 50 as it returns to Amazon (as the featured seller) at the price of $630. The next one is the Pentax K200D with 18-70 DA at #76, which goes for $570 after a $100 Pentax mail-in rebate. Pentax has an on-going rebate promotion, the Pentax GearUp Program, that can potentially save buyers up to $375 depending on what they buy.
Come back on Monday June 16, 2008 for a new update of this dramatic camera-opera :) Don't miss any update by subscribing to our full-text feed.