With the Olympics now in the rear view mirror and Photokina 2008 less than 30 days away, we are bound to start getting waves and waves of new product and vaporware announcements. So this is a good time to recap the year so far in terms of new digital camera announcements. And what a "productive" year it was!
New Digital Cameras in 2008 so far
- 12 new DSLRs (one 35mm full frame)
- 18 superzooms (zoom ratio 10X or more)
- 11 non-DSLRs that support RAW natively
- 39 start at 28mm or wider (The Year of the Wide)
- 163 total new cameras from the major manufacturers. Yes 163!
There's even more from other regional, rebranded, and "cloned" brands! The 163 new models (CRAZY) are coming only from the manufacturers listed below:
- Canon, Nikon, Sony, Kodak, Fuji, Olympus
- Pentax, Casio, Panasonic, Leica, Samsung, Ricoh, Sigma, GE
- HP is tracked but nothing new in 2008
- One Minox model is listed (starts at 28mm wide)
Complete details of every category and model at the 2008 digital cameras round-up.